This year in the northern hemisphere, the autumnal equinox happens at 4:02 p.m. EST on Friday, September 22nd. In the southern hemisphere, the spring equinox happens on this day. Time is not relevant to this event, because it happens everywhere regardless of time zones.
From this day on, daylight will become less and less until the winter solstice in December. That is when daylight hours will begin to increase again.
During the equinox, we are being urged to reflect and express gratitude for the many manifestations we have created in our realities. We are also being reminded to finish any lingering projects that have not been completed within the last few months. We still have the opportunity to set goals and complete them.
The equinox happens when the Sun’s path crosses through the celestial equator, which is an invisible line that mirrors the Earth’s equator. This event creates day and night of almost equal length. The equinox indicates an ideal time to strive for balance. Regardless of all the chaos in the world, our life-giving Sun is constant and will rise in the exact East and set in the exact West during the equinox.
Wikimedia Commons/CC BY 2.0 Illumination of Earth by Sun on the day of equinox (vernal and autumnal). Image by Przemyslaw “Blueshade” Idzkiewicz.
During the morning of the autumn equinox, the Sun enters Libra, which represents balance and diplomacy. This creates an extra emphasis on equality and wholeness.
We are being reminded to create balance and harmony within ourselves and our environments. The equinox is a perfect time to meditate on any visualizations and desires we have for our future.
The time following the equinox is a time for contemplation and action. We are being called to reflect on our inner darkness, and are reminded not to run or hide from it. We may seek time alone in order to reflect and visualize how we want our ideal reality to manifest.
Equinox To-Do List
- Make a list of any projects or tasks that have not yet been completed.
- Determine which items can be done quickly, or removed altogether.
- Find a place where you can be alone with your thoughts. Reflect on inner achievements that have created value.
- Express gratitude for all of the gifts you have received and earned.
- Create harmony in your environment by cleaning up and organizing your home and work areas.
- Meditate with an intent to visualize your ideal reality, thereby putting your desire out into the universe.